How to unlearn Depression?
This is a free advice post to the people suffering from depression. After Chitra Singh’s daughter committed suicide from depression, Asha Bhosle’s daughter killed herself by a licensed revolver because of depression. I am sharing few remedies for depression according to my own experiences.
1. Try to become a friend of yourself.
2. Socialize more, depression is caused to introverts.
3. A long walk or even a walk to your neighbourhood market would solve the purpose and it’s a fact that more you walk the lesser you become tense.
4. Have some hobby, depression starts from boredom.
5. You are not responsible for your fate and troubles then why worry about it. In Mahabharata Yaksha posed few questions to Yudhisthira, one of the questions was ‘What is more numerous than grasses?’ Yudhisthira replied worries are more numerous than grasses.
6. Change food habit. Vegetarian diet is better for depressed people, it lowers perturbation, have a colurful meal, more the colours means the better nutrients. Avoid junk food.
7. Have a companion in your family or friend circle to whom you can confess your guilt, failures and shortcomings.
8. Read good literature and biographies, the most successful men have to suffer the severe depression, if you can overpower your depression you will become a good professional, student, nice homemaker, a likeable husband or a doting parent.
9. Everyone is suffering from one or another kind of psychological syndrome but depression is a silent killer, know yourself and then the depression. Have a friendship with your depression, ‘daag hain to achhe hain’. Gita has taught us to conquer our mind in all circumstances.
जितात्मनः प्रशान्तस्य परमात्मा समाहितः ।
शीतोष्णसुखदुःखेषु तथा मानापमानयोः ।। ७ ।। अध्याय ६
When one has conquered one’s self and has attained to the calm of self-mastery, his Supreme Self abides ever concentrate, he is at peace in cold and heat, in pleasure and pain, in honour and dishonour.
10. Listening music and having a hobby to cook will enhance your taste in life. Life is not meant to cry and repent but to seek experience and blessings from your past and to live in present and to plan for future according to bitter experiences learnt from your own follies. Life is yours and your success and failures are yours too. Make acquaintance to both successes and failures because none of these will remain forever. Remember that there is a French proverb that if you laugh on Saturday then you have to cry on Monday. Even Krishna says in Gita that be calm in pleasure and pain, in good time and bad time.
मात्रास्पर्शास्तु कौन्तेय शीतोष्णसुखदुःखदाः ।
आगमापायिनोSनित्यास्तांस्तितिक्षस्व भारत ।। १४ ।। अध्याय २
Contacts with their objects, O Son of Kunti (Arjuna), give rise to cold and heat, pleasure and pain. They come and go and do not last for ever, these learn to endure, O Bharata (Arjuna).
यं हि न व्यथयन्त्येते पुरुषं पुरुषर्षभ ।
समदुःखसुखं धीरं सोSमृतत्वाय कल्पते ।। १५ ।। अध्याय २
The man who is not troubled by these, O Chief of men (Arjuna), who remains the same in pain and pleasure, who is wise makes himself fit for eternal life.
सुखदुखेः समे कृत्वा लाभालाभौ जयाजयौ ।
ततो युद्धाय युज्यस्व नैवं पापमवाप्स्यसि ।। ३८ ।। अध्याय २
Treating alike pleasure and pain, gain and loss, victory and defeat, then get ready for battle. Thus thou shall not incur sin. (Translation by S. Radhakrishnan from The Bhagavadgita).
11. Consult a psychiatrist or counselor, mental ailments are as important one as physical illness. Medicines must be avoided because these are made of narcotic drugs and molecules which has life-long side-effects.
12. Your problems, distress, pleasures and pain; even your life is yours’. So only you have to seek for solution. Buddha says ‘be a lamp unto yourself”. And I say that be a master of your own fate. Have a nice day and beautiful life. Our religious scriptures has mentioned that to kill self is greatest of sin so don’t be a sinner, spread love and joy.
© Sushil kumar
Image credit: www.beingsakin.wordpress.com